You can read all news about nocheto development here.
2021.11.01 New version was released: 2.0.0!
This release brings following new features:
Nocheto now support graphical board on kitty console.
(This console is part of most Linux distributions, so you should be able to install it by your package manager.)
- Nocheto can create graphics board from image of size 800x800px (whole board) or 200x100px (two squares).
- Dependencies on Magick library were removed from nocheto, which increase its portability. Nocheto uses its own image file format now, called nepix.
- Graphics board can be created just by setting two colors.
- Board and pieces images can be read from directories under ~/.nocheto/themes/ directory
You can list all stoppable commands by new stoplist command.
(Some other commands become stoppable in the future releases!)
- stop and stopstoplist commands (see Stoppable commands above).
- keepontop command enable clearing console before drawing board, which causes drawing the board always from the top.
- switchsounds command can now enable/disable sounds.
- debug command was added, which can enable/disable debugging on the fly.
- listthemes command list themes you can use with boardtheme and piecestheme command
- boardtheme, piecestheme, boardwhitecolor and boardblackcolor allows you to change values for corresponding configuration properties, see below.
- clearboardcolors clears boardwhitecolor and boardblackcolor so the boartheme takes effect.
- up<< command undo back to the main line
New configuration possibilities
- New section
[gui]was added. You can configure kitten board by boardtheme, piecestheme, boardwhitecolor and boardblackcolor.
- You can now create many sections for different engines in your .ini config file, which are then used by the new version of play command (see Other changes below).
- Colors for evaluated moves can be now changed by
You can use exclamation mark to make these colors bold (
blundermovecolor = "31!").
- onmovecolor can be used now to change color of the star which shows who is on move.
Example of configuration for several engenes
[engine_stockfish] name = Stockfish 14 engine = /usr/games/stockfish [engine_komodo] name = Komodo 10 engine = komodo [engine_gnuchess] name = "Gnuchess" engine = gnuchessu
With this configuration, you can play against komodo by
play vs komodo command,
or let play stockfish against gnuchessu by
play stockfish vs gnuchess command.
- Nochetoclient gets tablebase from nocheto, which decrease the amount of internet requests into the tablabase.
- board command can now change the board. (It takes the same arguments as --board options).
- goseconds configuration value affects time used by nochetoclient (in analyze mode) for analyzing one move.
Value -1 is used for an infinite search. It is recommended to add
goseconds=30in your client.ini configuration file (use whatever you like instead of 30).
- play vs <engine> command can switch the engine against which you play.
- play <engine> vs <engine> command plays two given engines against each other.
- Revision number is shown as a part of nocheto version now.
- fixed evaluation of mate and stalemate positions in nochetodbeval
- UCI engine is now reconnected only if it is not running
New features in nochetodbload
nochetodbload can now delete loaded game. Use --delete-game option.
New features in nochetopgn
This new UTF-8 annotations are now detected: ∞,⩲,⩱,±,∓,⨀,○,⟳,↑,→,⇆,⨁,=/∞,− +,− + and N (for novelty).
2021.05.25 Nochetopgn was moved to a separate package
nochetopgn was moved to a separate package, as it is usually not required for studying or playing chess. And you can get it for free now!
Added save! command which rewrite existing file.
Fixed loading games from database (set limit to 1000).
Version of all packages was increased to 1.1.1.
2021.05.01 New version available: 1.1.0!
New versions of nocheto and nochetoengi 1.1.0 (FISHER edition) are released.
This release brings following new features:
Support for Chess 960
You can play, study and analyze Chess 960 games (also known as fisher chess) now.
The following commands were added or modified to support Chess 960:
- fen960 Create Chess 960 game from FEN notation.
- new960 Start new Chess 960 game.
- variant Setup command for changing game type to standard chess or 960 chess.
- reset Setup command now accept chess960 game id (number between 0 and 959) to set selected chess 960 start position
Board now shows fen with "Fen960:" for Chess 960 chess variant (if viewfen is enabled).
--chess960 option to evaluate chess960 games (otherwise they are skipped).
Namespaces in database
Namespaces were added for games stored in database. It diminishes need for
using more than one database (which is still possible).
The following commands were addeded:
- addnamespace add namespace to database.
- dropnamespace drop namespace from database (if no game in that namespace exists).
- listnamespaces list all namespaces.
- namespaces set namespaces explorer should search for games
The games explorer can now show games from selected namespace(s).
nochetodbload has a new option
which tells under which namespace games will be stored. (Default namespace is called
Compressed utf8 board type
Compressed utf8 board was added.
- Added support for multipv. You can see now more lines in a clients analyze mode.
- Improved support for various UCI engines.
- hint command shows move evaluation now (in centipawns)
--gamesoption was added.
- added --dangerous-speed option
- New configuration variable in [console] section
- Compressed board now can play sounds and show opening name.
- error.wav sound is played on error.
- added --conuter option for nochetopgn
- Small speed up in reading big PGN files.
- SOCI database layer is now compiled into executables, which improves portability.
- fixed fruit engine was running instead of komodo
- fixed parsing of some malformed PGNs
- fxied troublesome condition finding running engine process
- fixed memory leaks
If you bought previous version 1.00, you can download this version for free. Just sign in and ask for linux package(s) you want.
We are proud to announce that nocheto 1.00 is on sale!
This is the first release I was working last 2 years.
And I hope you will have the same fun with it as I have!
These are the steps which must be done before Nocheto will be possible to purchase.
- Create e-shop.
- Legal stuff.
Expected release: soon!